Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Meet Darius Smith


Darius Smith, a 6-foot-2 guard, can play both point and two-guard. He excels on using his length to get steals, has excellent athleticism, and has an ability to create his own shot. He was first-team All-State averaging 23 points, 7 boards, 6 assists, and 7 steals a game. He says, “I pride myself on doing it at both ends of the court…UConn’s style of play is my style--up and down the court….I like the program and get along real well with the coaching staff. I will be a true point guard there.” He has been known to not take well to authority, which will be tested by Calhoun’s abrupt style of coaching. It will be interesting to see how he handles Calhoun’s ‘tough love’. He also needs to work on his outside shooting and his court vision. Though he said, “I really worked on my shot and it became a threat.” His addition will add much needed depth to the backcourt, but basketball isn’t all that he is about. “Making the NBA is one thing but architecture is something I want to do.” Sounds like a grounded young man.




No comments: